Resources for Veteran Pilots
Any transition to civilian life is full of uncertainty, but it’s worth the risk. We’ve been in your shoes before and we’ve got your back. Some resources to get you started, based on the questions we get most often:
- Navy COOL will pay for exam fees associated with any of your ratings. You can learn about the process and fill out a Voucher Request Form to get started with your command.
- Army COOL will pay for credentialing fees, including a portion of your flight training. You can apply on the IgnitEd website.
- Do you need help with your military logbooks? Our friends at AnyTime Logbooks can help. Here’s a video walkthrough.
- Want to use your GI Bill for flight training? We are not a degree-granting institution and cannot take GI Bill funds. Even if we did, we’d urge you to use your GI Bill wisely. Your GI Bill goes farthest in the classroom. For flight training, you’ll get substantially less of a benefit.
- How much do you need to earn as a civilian in order to match your current active-duty income? Use this calculator to find out.
- Resume writing doesn’t have to be a mystery. Here are some resources to get you started. We also provide career counseling and placement services to all our students and alumni.
- Job interviews are unknown territory for all veterans. Relax, your experience puts you head and shoulders above civilian candidates. Here’s some guidance. We provide interview prep services to all our students and alumni.
Veteran owned and operated:
- Paul Wynns, CEO and President (US Navy)
- Michael Bower, Director of Recruiting (US Air Force)
For veterans, by veterans:
We’ve transitioned over 80 veterans to airline careers since our founding in 2016 and are the first flight school to be accepted into the DoD SkillBridge program.
Flex Air is a proud SkillBridge partner. Our authorization letter from the Office of the Secretary of Defense allows us to hire active-duty interns who receive full military pay and benefits during their internship period, which can last up to six months.
We offer an entrepreneurship track that teaches veterans about value discovery, goal-setting, and other soft skills they’ll need to thrive in the civilian world. Our aviation track allows veterans access to reduced cost flight training at any experience level. Interns can receive training in one or both tracks simultaneously. To learn more and enquire about SkillBridge cohort dates, please contact us.